Lost my r/h pane in Windows Explorer

the-george 15:52 16 Jul 2003

Am running ME and after an updating session with ms found that WExp had changed. I no longer get the two panes just a singe one similar to opening a window in My Computer.
Consequently, if I wish to move files around I have to open two WExp in order to drag and drop from one folder to another.
I also get an error sometimes and WExp will not run properly until the system is restarted.

spikeychris 18:14 16 Jul 2003

Try this: if it fails post back for a reg hack

1)Open Explore

2)Open the "view" menu and select "options"

3)Click the "File Type" tab

4)Scroll down to "Folder" in the "Registered file type" window and
Double click it.

5)Highlight "Explore" in the "Action" window.

6)Click on the "Set Default" button.

7)Hit the "OK" buttons to return to windows.

Chris

the-george 21:39 23 Oct 2003

Further to above - I actually appear to have lost explorer altogether and no matter how I try to launch ity I end up in My documents so the only way I can navigate around is through thid. Consequently the solution suggested by Chris cannot be tried as the 'options' is not available.

DAG88 21:56 23 Oct 2003

is there an option called "folder options" in view.
this is probably what Chris meant

VoG II 21:59 23 Oct 2003

Right click the Windows Explorer icon and select properties.

On the Shortcut tab, in the Target box enter

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /n,/e,C:
and click OK.

the-george 14:46 24 Oct 2003

There is no 'view folder' option, just the customise folder which launches wizard and is not appropriate to this situation as far as I can see.

Have tried entering the line you suggest but get a message saying this is 'not valid'. Current entry is simply C:\windows\explorer.exe
Thanks for your responses.

the-george 17:29 25 Mar 2004

None of the above worked but on having a look through the contents of C-drive came across WINFILE application. Opened this and it looks almost the same as Windows Explorer with option to browse drives and two panes.
However, it does not display all the drives in l/h pane - only the contents of the selected drive. This means that moving files around the selected drive e.g. c-drive is easy but not so easy moving from a folder in one drive to a folder in another. Still need to open two versions to do this easily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?