Lost my external Hard Drive

dfb70uk 12:11 03 Jun 2014

Changed from XP to Windows 7. Just got around to doing a back up, pluged in my external HD and it is not recognised. Help please. Davy

Jollyjohn 12:19 03 Jun 2014

A few more details please. What error message, if any do you get. Does anything else work in that USB socket.
Is your drive getting enough power, my ext HDD has two plugs and on some machines I need to plug them both in to get enough power to run it.

BRYNIT 13:01 03 Jun 2014

Check if the drive is showing in disk manager.

Click on start, right click on computer and select Manage/disk management does you external drive show, if you can see the drive does it have a drive letter assigned? if not right click on the drive, select change drive letter and paths/add and assign a drive letter.

ChemlineDorno 13:23 03 Jun 2014

Your external Hard Drive may be corrupted but you can recover all data from you corrupt hard by third party data recovery software like Kernel for Windows Data Recovery

dfb70uk 11:20 04 Jun 2014

Thanks everybody, No error message does not show on disk manager, has its own PU. can hear ablip when I switch iy on, works ok on XP machine usb ok, must be driver or someyhing. iomega say the model i have uses windows driver not theirs. Dave

dfb70uk 12:44 04 Jun 2014

Windows does see it but says no driver On installing the driver says is (the driver that is)is corrupted . It is suppose to be plug and play I ask you! I don't know where I go from here. Dave

Jollyjohn 13:06 04 Jun 2014

On the XP machine, copy everything off the ext hdd.

Connect it to W7 machine. Follow BRYNIT's post to check under disk management. Format the drive and assign a drive letter. Unplug and plug in again to a different usb skt - What happens?

dfb70uk 12:38 12 Jun 2014

Am afraid it was another virus or malware of some sort so much for Mcafee gone to Kasperski now and hope. Dave

dfb70uk 14:29 14 Aug 2014

Was A virus Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache