lost memory

trefor 19:10 18 Apr 2008

I have an Advent laptop running XP SP2, wireless connection to a BT Hub and loaded with BT Yahoo security. The computer seems to go to sleep for several seconds at times. I've removed some of the BT apps as I thought they were slowing things down. Whilst idly browsing I found under Systemm Info that I have 1024Mb of physical memory but only 153MB avaialble. Could there be a memory problem? Is there a good memory check software (preferably free) that I could use to check the memor?

MAT ALAN 19:23 18 Apr 2008

click here

run this it will determine if your memory is faulty or not...

wis 19:36 18 Apr 2008

are we talking her of norton internet by bt
if so this memory grab big still bin there

aine 20:09 18 Apr 2008

Have you got acronis running? if this is not set correctly it will do full backups on c drive and the partition. I had this problem I deleted the backups on c drive and recovered 85GB

MAT ALAN 20:31 18 Apr 2008

aine me old coconut, we are talking memory not HDD space..

wis i don't quite think you have read the post correctly either...

wis 20:57 18 Apr 2008

mat
may be, the reason i posted this i was with bt
and took there option of security and it turned out to be norton,my pc is very old small hd space
and it dragged it down and down

MAT ALAN 21:03 18 Apr 2008

I have an Advent laptop running XP SP2, wireless connection to a BT Hub and loaded with BT Yahoo security.

no mention of norton yet, not getting at ya but it does tend to confuse the issue if there is nothing relevant....

trefor 21:41 18 Apr 2008

Sorry! BT Security is Norton but should it take up 80% of memory. Thanks Mat Alan I'll check check the memory.

MAT ALAN 21:46 18 Apr 2008

wis, you on the right track, i am humbled,i know norton is a huge resource hugger but not quite that much...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?