Lost MBR

portvale 07:46 15 Nov 2003

I had a had drive error recently and the system now reports an unpartitioned drive. I can see the data using EasyRecovery but the file table is obviously screwed coc the files are broken into separate parts.

I have read about fixmbr in XP - does anyone have any ideas on this or other recovery methods or is 5 years of work lost?

Yes - Im know I should have backed up! The drive failed as I was installing a new DVD Writer for such a purpose!

Forum Editor 08:17 15 Nov 2003

in Windows XP you'll need to be in the recovery console.

Before you start
click here;en-us;314058&

Forum Editor 08:19 15 Nov 2003

about Microsoft knowledge base hyperlinks by now.

Sorry about that - go to microsoft.com and search the knowledge base for article number 314058

temp003 10:31 15 Nov 2003

Not sure fixmbr will fix this, but you can click here and select How to access XP Recovery Console, and you get screenshots as well.

If XP Recovery Console manages to get to the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type:

fixmbr

and press Enter, and confirm what you want to do.

If you get an error message, and XP says cannot execute the command, type:

map

and press Enter. Then note down the description for your hard disk. Normally it should be \Device\Harddisk0

Then at the prompt, type

fixmbr \device\harddisk0

and press Enter.

See if it works.

Then type exit and press Enter to reboot.

If that doesn't help, go back into XP Recovery Console, and type:

chkdsk c: /f /r

and press Enter.

If data is very important, you might want to leave the disk alone and get professional help.

portvale 13:06 15 Nov 2003

Can't get into the Recovery screens as the drive is not recognised. The XP install routine picks up an unpartitioned area [76mb, size of disk] and I can not delete it or write another partition.

I should mention that EasyRecovery s/ware shows me all the files but they are fragmented. Small files such as shortcuts to urls from my favourites list have been recovered.

Is there any way of restoring the MBR [or is the File Allocation table itself?] so that the files can be retrieved. I mainly want Word docs - their parts are picked up by the WordFix element of the software but cannot be joined up correctly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?