Lost LAN

Saintsman 20:08 02 Aug 2005

I wish to install a router but when I select Network Connections the LAN icon is not there. That means I have nothing to connect it to.

How do I get it back?

dan11 20:20 02 Aug 2005

Have you got a lan socket on the motherboard?

If so.

It may be disabled in the bios. Enter the bios and enable it.

Saintsman 20:37 02 Aug 2005

Dan,

You assume far too much. I'm afraid I'll need it a little more clearer than that!

I would be greatful for something a little more explicit.

Thanks,

Saintsman

dan11 21:26 02 Aug 2005

Sorry.lol

rather than post pictures of a lan socket, on the rear of a computer. Or asking you if you have a lan pci card. Can you tell us the make and model of your motherboard.

This will show us IF you have a built in lan socket and where to find it in the bios.

If you do not know the make and model of the motherboard. Here is some very handy sofware, that will tell you all about your computer.click here

Saintsman 19:47 03 Aug 2005

Dan11,

Appologies for taking so long to reply.

My motherboard is a Compaq Pressario 6030EA according to the link you gave me (although I thought that was the type of PC I had) Maybe they are the same thing.

dan11 20:38 03 Aug 2005

yes that is the model number, but we should be able to work around it.

Here is a picture of the rear panel on a computer, not your computer. But No3 shows you a lan port. click here. according to compaq, your computer should have one.

Now you will have to enter the bios. Very easy to do, but do not alter anything, unless told to do so.

Start the computer as you would normally do. When the first screen appears, keep tapping the F1 key on the keyboard, does this take you to the bios?

If it does not, substitute the F1 key for the F10 key.

You will need to enter the advanced section. Scroll down and look for an entry called " on board lan". They will either be a option to go from disabled to enabled. Or they may just be a circle you just tick.

If it is there and you have changed it. Then go to exit and save changes.

If you have not changed anything or unsure. Then go to exit and discard changes. This will leave the bios the way it was.

If by any chance it is not listed in advanced, the manual says look under, PCI or I/O Device configuration. For onboard lan.

If you have any difficulty in understanding the above, just ask.

It can be daunting, first time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?