lost internet connectio. Zone Alarm problem?

sheila.weston 14:24 09 Feb 2009

I can send and receive emails, but can't get onto the internet with IE. Any suggestions? The XP diagnostic troubleshooter seems to suggest that this is a firewall problem. I have zonealarm installed, but right-clicked on it and selected disable (I think!). I can't open it atall now to check the settings, although it is in the program files folder. Any ideas on other checks which I could make? I am wondering about removing zonealarm altogether (via CTL) and reinstalling, but don't want to make things worse.

This is being written on the vista laptop which is connected to the XP by a cable and a router. In this machine I can get online without a problem.

Any help much appreciated.

Sea Urchin 15:38 09 Feb 2009

You didn't by any chance click on Stop All Internet Activity - just a thought. By the way, you have to reboot to restart ZoneAlarm

sheila.weston 17:26 09 Feb 2009

I don't think so. I can't find how to open zone alarm again. It was on the task bar (bottom rh corner of screen, but I clicked on disable - or perhaps exit - and the icon is not there now.

I have just gone into network diagnostics for xp again and am told :
Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. This is probably caused by the firewall connection on this computer.

Check the f-w settings for http port(80), HTTPS port(443) and FTP port(21). How do I do this?

Re Zone Alarm - in my program folder on the C:\drive I have two folders, Zone Labs and Zone AlarmSB. Zone Labs contains a folder for Zone alarm which, in turn, contains a zonealarm.exe file, but when I click on this, nothing happens.

I fear that if I uninstall zonelabs I may be compounding the problem.

I have tried using system restore on several dates in the past week, without success.

Sea Urchin 17:41 09 Feb 2009

Did you reboot the PC to restart ZoneAlarm?

sheila.weston 18:55 09 Feb 2009

Yes. Several times in the last few days.
Zone Alarm is on the start menu also (ie the list of programs that comes up when you click on the round windows icon at bottom lhcorner). But nothing happens. So I think that I will *have* to uninstall it and reinstall. Would you agree?

I have just looked at windows security Firewall is ON. I am sure that it was OFF when I last looked. BUT going into the Firewall settings, it is OFF on the General tab. However under the Advanced tab the boxes are ticked against 1394 Connections 1 and 2 and the local area connection. I have unticked them and will restart the computer and see what happens..........

sheila.weston 20:12 09 Feb 2009

No, that hasn't made any difference.
In the security center, the opening window has Firewall=ON;
The General tab has the OFF box ticked.
Under the Exceptions tab there is avgemc.exe, avgupd.exe, file and printersharing, network diagnostics for XP, remote assistance and UPnP Framework all ticked; Remote desktop is not ticked; under the advanced tab, the three connections (2x1394 and local area connection)are now ticked again.

Sea Urchin 22:12 09 Feb 2009

In security center it says Firewall ON - is that ZoneAlarm or Windows Firewall?

And I'm not sure which "General" tab you are referring to.

sheila.weston 12:11 10 Feb 2009

WINDOWS Firewall.

The General Tab in the windows security center.

I can't get into any properties etc for Zone Alarm -

Sea Urchin 14:58 10 Feb 2009

I can't see a General tab in the Security Center - this is what mine looks like (XP)

click here

canarieslover 15:37 10 Feb 2009

If you click on Windows Firewall near the bottom of the screen you will open up another screen which is what sheila.weston is referring to.

Stuartli 15:45 10 Feb 2009

I haven't used ZoneAlarm for a while, but there were separate versions at one time for XP and Vista.

On the Vista machine, the Windows firewall should/will be sufficient as it's now two way - there should also be a router firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone