Lost icons

Jim S 11:46 20 Aug 2007

The last three programs I have installed do not show the appropriate icons under the Start button. I'm referring to the list of shortcuts to the programs used frequently. Instead there is a generic windows icon shown. Righ-clicking on the shortcut and going to properties shows that the Change Icon button is greyed out. There is nothing in the Start in: box. Putting the path to the progam in here does not make the correct icon appear.
The three promgrams are (earliest first):
Serif Page Plus X2
Serif Photo Plus 11
Skype.
The Skype icon did not appear on the desktop shortcut either, but I was able to create a new shotcut from the program itself and drag it to the desktop. This method doesn't seem to work under the start button although it DOES work when you drag it to the list of permament shortcuts under start.
I'm using XP Home.

Jim S 13:18 20 Aug 2007

Thanks Marg7 but pinning isn't the problem. It's when Windows itself adds th eprogram to Start becuase it is used frequently. I realise I could pin it permanently but It would be good to have it appear properly when it appears under the frequently used section.

brundle 13:25 20 Aug 2007

Personally I've never found the `frequently used programs` list works properly - something I've used once in six months is near the top of the list, something I use every day disappears.
You could try this;
click here - scroll down to `Frequently Used Programs`

Jim S 13:39 20 Aug 2007

Thanks, brundle, but there was no relevant information there. I've checked Microsoft Help & Support but no joy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone