Lost Hard Drive space after loading Windows XP pro

malydee 16:34 10 Mar 2006

Having upgraded my PC with new motherboard, SATA II hard drive, Intel P4 processor and DDR II memory, I have lost all but 2.5 Gb of a 160 gb hard drive. This has come as a result of the continuos looping of the loading of XP Pro with associated re-partitioning of the hard drive. Is there a method of recovering the rest of the hard drive? All I can see in My Computer is a "C" Drive with 2.5 Gb, most of which is occupied by XP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 10 Mar 2006

start - setting -control panel - admin tools - computer management -disk management

CAn you see the rest of the drive in there?

If so, right click on the unallicated part of the drive and allicate a drive letter and format as necessary.

ade.h 17:12 10 Mar 2006

I would be concerned at the size of your C partition; it's too small for XP plus your apps plus the spare space that the OS requires.

Either reinstall XP while you are still at this early stage (not too much to be reinstalled hopefully) or resize it with Partition Magic.

billyliv 19:09 10 Mar 2006

Going by a distant memory here. If your drive is a maxtor you have to download a small program which enables 'Large Disk Capabilities' . cheers, Bill

woodchip 20:01 10 Mar 2006

This sounds like you have not done a clean install of XP along with Mobo drivers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?