lost hard drive

tmr 23:22 05 Apr 2008

I have two hard disk drives on my computer but following a system factry restore the second drive is shown in disk manager as partition / active but with no allocated drive letter and is unaccesable. How can I access it and make it a usable drive. it contains all my back files and therfore any solution must not wipe the drive.

BurrWalnut 09:59 06 Apr 2008

Is SP2 installed?

If not, do so plus the subsequent updates.

If SP2 is present and you still can’t see the drive, try going to Disk Management, right-click the ‘missing’ drive graphic and change the drive letter to, say, N.

tmr 10:26 06 Apr 2008

Yes I do have SP2 installed which is what caused the failure of my system in the first place resulting in me having to update my bios and then restoring factory settings before upgrading to SP2.
The options on right clicking the drive does not include an option to change the drive letter on the second hard drive which is shown as "partition", "Basic", "FAT32", "Healthy(Active)" 186Gb capacity,84GB Free.
It seems as though it may be a partition to the System Hard drve "C" but has no volume label.
Is this recoverable?

tmr 10:44 06 Apr 2008

Sorry Burrwalnut - On checking again I found a second right click dialogue box but it only gave the option to "Delete Partition" and all other options incuding change drive letter wer greyed out.
If I delete the partition will it give me an option to rename or will it delete the drive and all it's contents?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?