Lost Hard drive

craggy g 17:13 08 Nov 2006

i put a hard drive in a pc and formatted it and put a partition on it then i put about 70gig of important files on it.i disconnected it and put it in a new pc. then after i tried to access it it comes up with it needs formatting. ive been on disk management and it says the drive is active but needs formatting.if i format it everything will be wiped of so im kinda stuck. can anyone please help.
Thanx

Craig

Pamy 17:18 08 Nov 2006

craggy g, You cannot usually put it in a new computer and run it as a boot up drive. You will have to change the jumpers to slave, then put it in the new computer as such , then you may be able to get at the information (data)

craggy g 17:19 08 Nov 2006

no i put it in as a secondary drive im using a smaller drive as the master

Pamy 17:28 08 Nov 2006

craggy g,did you check that the data was actually put on this drive before you swapped it to the new PC?

It seams that it is not there

craggy g 17:32 08 Nov 2006

yeh. it worked fine wen it was in one pc but ive dun it before and it worked when i swapped everything but for sum reason it doesnt now

cycoze 17:33 08 Nov 2006

Is the new machines master drive formatted in the same format as the old machine ie: have you used NTFS to format the drive and then shoved it in a machine which uses an older format like fat32?

And as above is it set to slave?

craggy g 17:35 08 Nov 2006

its set to slave and both pcs are ntfs

Diemmess 17:35 08 Nov 2006

I assume you cannot go back to the source of the precious data.
Hopefully you may have a faulty connection to the new PC. Have you tried another data cable or a different power connection. You could even "borrow" these cables from your CDROM just to check.

Make sure the jumper is set to CSL or Slave and not Master.

Pamy 17:38 08 Nov 2006

craggy g, can you put it back in the first machie and see if the data is still there?

craggy g 17:42 08 Nov 2006

yep already done that

heres a picture of wot it says
click here

Pamy 17:50 08 Nov 2006

craggy g, could not read it , but I asume that you have pictures of young women on it. Cannot offer any further help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone