Lost Files - or are they ?

AlanHo 14:56 16 Dec 2005

It is too embarrassing to admit what I did to need to ask this question - but is there any way I can recover the files from an external USB hard drive that has been inadvertently reformatted and not yet subsequently used.

VoG II 15:01 16 Dec 2005

Try Drive Rescue click here

woodchip 15:09 16 Dec 2005

Something you may not be aware of, is Do not ever remove the usb plug or firewire plug for the drive without doing the safely remove hardware from system tray. Reason for this is if you have System restore enabled for the Drive, it wll more than likely be corrupted by not being shut down properly

AlanHo 11:25 17 Dec 2005

Thanks for your suggestions - I have spent many hours downloading and trying several freeware programmes overnight but none have worked.

I eventually subscribed to QueTek Scavenger which has worked beautifully and recovered 20312 files on the disc. The scan took almost 2 hours plus a further hour recovering the selected files (I did not need them all).

The only problem is that all the files are now in one folder - I have the task of rebuilding the folder tree and sorting them out. What a chore for Christmas !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?