Lost files in cut and paste transfer...aaahhh!!!

creamer84 23:24 03 Nov 2007

Hi,

The other day I cut and pasted 75gb of mp3 files from folder 'A' into a new folder, folder 'B'. Only 25gb appeared in B and the other 50gb seems to have disappeared into the ether, it didn't get left behind in A. Both A and B are in 'My Music' and this now only registers as being 25gb.

However, this is all on my external hard drive (160gb) and the space used on it has not been reduced by the 50gb, it is as before the move, so I presume it hasn't totally disappeared, it must be hiding somewhere on the drive...but where?!

Oddly enough, I can still access these missing files by typing in their extensions e.g. my music\A\the rolling stones. All the files are still there (if i can remember their extension) and can be played and moved...what the hell is going on?! Where are all these files hiding?! How do i get them back?

So far...
1. I've tried showing hidden folders, six of them exist but i can't get into them;

2. Downloaded 'PC Inspector File recovery'. I don't think that's work...although i could be wrong;

3. System restore, did nothing;

4.Cut and pasted the files back from B to A, nothing showed.

I have, of course, learned to always copy and paste and never to cut...but can anyone please help me solve this problem and recover these missing but still accessible files?

Thank you!

Matt

MCE2005 23:30 03 Nov 2007

I have found this recovers all my deletions,
(Absent minded) (Old Age),

click here

100% recovery for me.

lotvic 00:07 04 Nov 2007

Have you tried Search ?
It should show where the file(s) are, have the 'view' on details.

Have you tried right clicking on one and look at 'Properties'?

Have you looked in your Temp folder?
Start > Run > %temp%

Understanding Windows Clipboard Viewer click here
Unfortunately, Windows Clipboard Viewer is not installed by default. If you can not find it in the Systems Tool menu, you need to install it (the link tells you how to install)

Some of above may be of useful

Stuartli 00:10 04 Nov 2007

lotvic beat me to the Search suggestion - it will reveal where files are located and their path if you can remember the basic file names or extensions.

Stuartli 00:21 04 Nov 2007

One other point. Using Cut and Paste (and Copy and Paste) involves the Clipboard.

Each time you cut and paste or copy and paste information, the previous information is lost on the Clipboard.

If you haven't immediately moved files to the chosen folder but kept adding new files to the Clipboard, you will have been losing the previous files.

LithiumX 00:21 04 Nov 2007

would be to try using an alternate file browser such as explorer XP or, WinRAR. Maybe they will show up in there.

creamer84 12:29 04 Nov 2007

Thanks for all the advice! Very kind of you all! I did do a search when I lost the files and nothing turned up, sorry I didn't add this in before.

Nothing seems to have showed up on the clipboard. However, Active @ Undelete (the free download), did show all of my lost files but I cannot recover them because the free download only recovers up to 64mb...not the 50gb that I need! Should I invest in their basic version @ £20 or hunt for different software that will recover this size for free?

Once again, thanks for your help and advice.

DieSse 14:20 04 Nov 2007

If you can still use them - then they're clearly still on the drive.

I think when you move files, first they are copied, then they are deleted from the source. I suspect that the copy didn't complete, so they have been marked as hidden, but not actually deleted.

To view hidden files, in Explorer, go to Tools - Folder Options - View - and tick "Show hidden files". They may show up again in your My Music folder.

Stuartli 14:28 04 Nov 2007

There's plenty of freeware files recovery software, such as:

click here

click here

click here

click here

Plenty of others at Softpedia etc.

creamer84 20:49 04 Nov 2007

YES! It's all sorted, all files successfully recovered, thank you very much, particularly to Stuartli - 'NTFS Undelete' worked best (the last link), easy to use and extensive in its search. Thank you!

creamer84 20:50 04 Nov 2007

RESOLVED

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?