Lost file password

Barnacarry 10:49 07 Apr 2009

Over a year ago I protected a particular file with a password, which, due to old age, I have obviously forgotten. Is there any way of finding out what it might be?

Technotiger 10:56 07 Apr 2009

Yes possibly - click here install this (free) and then run it ( a useful item to keep anyway) - then click on Secrets in the left-hand column, you might then find your forgotten password.

If this one does not work, try click here then click on Configuration in the lower left-hand column, then click on the Keys icon to see your passwords.

Good luck.

Barnacarry 11:28 07 Apr 2009

Hi Technotiger, I downloaded both of the above but they only gave me the passwords for my email and pc advisor.

Graphicool1 11:46 07 Apr 2009
  Sea Urchin 11:52 07 Apr 2009

There are programs which claim to reveal your passwords, but usually they have to be paid for - although Graphicool1's link above deserves a look.

There is a program called Advanced Office Password Recovery on the link below - you can download a trial version to play with. It only reveals the first 3 characters of the password, but this could well be enough to remind you what it is.

click here

Barnacarry 12:06 07 Apr 2009

Graphicool1 - WOW!!! I've now got a headache!

Barnacarry 12:29 07 Apr 2009

Sea Urchin - Thanks for that, it was worth a go. I've run it 3 times with different criteria but to no avail. I must have put one hell of a password in that file. I just hope it's not my Swiss Bank a/c number.

Graphicool1 12:42 07 Apr 2009

Try these...
click here

Barnacarry 13:06 07 Apr 2009

Graphicool1 - Thanks for the site but it refers to unlocking the password behind the asterisks, which Word does'nt have. (I should have mentioned it was a Word document, sorry)

Anyway, thank you all for your assistance and I now have to shoot off to my next 27 hour shift but if you think of anything else I shall log in on Wednesday night.

Barnacarry

Graphicool1 13:24 07 Apr 2009

This might be a 'try before you buy' but a try might be all you need. click here

This is a 'try before you buy'
click here

Barnacarry 20:50 08 Apr 2009

Graphicool1 - Words fail me. You have produced a miracle. IT WORKS!!!
Squidoo.com took 40 seconds to delete the password enabling me to open it normally and I am now a rich man.
Thank you ever so much for your persistance. I am truly gratefull.
Barnacarry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone