lost file acpi.sys

Nonagon 20:54 21 Oct 2006

I received an old networked computer[ Fujitsu Ergo Prog x] from a person who was updating their offices.

I tried to upload it with a home version of windows 2000 and in the process somehow I skipped the file acpi.sys so now at the initial screen the system has gone into a loop where it seeks this file cannot find it and goes back to initial screen and asks to set-up windows 2000 again.

Also the computer was networked and it may have a network card(?) and I would like to just run it as a pc for one of the kids .
Is this terminal?

Nonagon.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 21 Oct 2006

Either clean the CD and the drive and reinstall window 2000

or

disable acpi in the bios. You don't get autoshutdown or other acpi features but that was ok.

Nonagon 23:35 21 Oct 2006

Either clean the CD and the drive and reinstall window 2000

It wont let me do this -the loop is too tight -the startup inspects the hardware configuration and says the file acpi.sys is missing and goes back to leeting me open OS windows 200 or Windows -in the latter case it says incorrect disk loaded

or

disable acpi in the bios. You don't get autoshutdown or other acpi features but that was ok.
I don't know how to do this given the tight room for manouveer.

johnnyrocker 23:51 21 Oct 2006

what about safe mode?

johnny.

Nonagon 23:58 21 Oct 2006

F8 only allows you options in Widows 2000

Nonagon 10:23 22 Oct 2006

Whilst updating it has become stuck on first OS screen –is there any way past this i.e. you can load windows 2000 but you cannot go beyond this because this because you do not have file acpi.sys loaded and do not have disks for second option which is windows.

Is there anyway to get back to what was there before –Windows 95 believe it or not!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:38 22 Oct 2006

Reboot the machine.

watch first screen there will be a message "press ? to enter setup"

? will be the key to get into the BIOS will be something like F1 esc del etc.

set the machine to boot from CD Rom first harddrive second, Disble ACPI IF YOU WISH.
save and exit (F10).

With the win 2k CD in the drive restar the windows install but choose the option to format the partition first.

Nonagon 16:53 22 Oct 2006

The key is INS

Once i do this iget to a screen
USER ADMIN INFO
CONFIG SECURITY POWER

I am not clear how to proceed from here and set the machine to boot from cd rom first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?