Lost emails

mak2 18:23 22 Sep 2008

This morning I lost 2 months of emails from outlook express. I opened my emails, OE froze and displayed error and did I want to send, then closed itself down and when I reopened OE, virtually full 2 months vanished. They're not in any other folders. My deleted items folder shows nothing but has 50Mb size on it. Is there any way I can recover those emails. All ideas appreciated.

BurrWalnut 18:43 22 Sep 2008

This may work:
Close Outlook Express. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder which, if you haven't moved it, is a hidden folder located at C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. You may have to show 'hidden' files in Folder Options > View Tab to see it.

Now right-click and Delete FOLDERS.DBX (the capitals are for clarity only). If you’re nervous about deleting files then click Rename and type FOLDERS.OLD. Now restart Outlook Express and a new folders.dbx file will be recreated automatically and hopefully your .dbx files will be restored to normal.

If you cannot access it because it’s ‘read only’, right-click it > Properties and uncheck the Read attribute.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017