lost email addresses

iqs 21:05 04 May 2010

Hi,

Was asked if its possible to locate lost email addresses that have disappeared from outlook?.

Would reinstalling outlook help?.,or is there a folder within the OS that store the email addresses

Thank you

FRANKMAC 21:51 04 May 2010

Which email client are you using? Can you not remember your email address?

It maybe that somehow you have lost your outlook.pst file, search your pc to see if you can find outlook.pst or archive.pst iether should store all your previous info.

iqs 22:11 04 May 2010

Hi,

Its outlook express under windows 7.

No he cant recall all of the addresses

Thank you

northumbria61 22:28 04 May 2010

Do you mean you have lost your contacts ?

do you mean they aren't showing in your email program window? If so, then click on "View",
then "Layout", and finally, put a checkmark in front of "Contacts".

If that's not the problem, then you should search for files that end in ".wab" on your computer (wab stands for Windows address book). That's the
file with your contacts in it.

Sea Urchin 00:06 05 May 2010

How many contacts are/were there in the list - you don't say whether they have all disappeared, or just some of them. If all of them then this is a known problem with Outlook - if you add too many contacts then they will all seem to disappear. The solution is to delete some of them and they will return.

Batch 13:46 05 May 2010

Just an observation (esp. as I don't have outlook), but if all of the em addresses have "disappeared", I don't see how one is meant to locate some of them so that they can be deleted?

Sea Urchin 14:13 05 May 2010

Yes sounds odd - but the address book is still available - it's just the contact display list that disappears. But iqs hasn't explained exactly what the problem is - I was just trying to anticipate what it might be :@)

Sea Urchin 14:13 05 May 2010

Yes sounds odd - but the address book is still available - it's just the contact display list that disappears. But iqs hasn't explained exactly what the problem is - I was just trying to anticipate what it might be :@)

iqs 17:12 05 May 2010

Sorry for not clarifying myself properly,all the communication with my friend is via email...

All the contacts have disappeared, there was only about 20-30 to start with.

He has followed the advice from northumbria61,nothing was listed during the search.

Because its outlook express,it is part of IE.Would he have to re-install IE to correct possible problems with outlook.

If IE & outlook were reinstalled,would all the previous setting be available,POP3/SMTP email addresses etc ect.

Thanks

Sea Urchin 17:46 05 May 2010

Outlook Express is not part of Windows 7 - it would normally be Windows Mail. So maybe if you are trying to run OE that could be the problem. It's clearly nothing to do with the quantity of addresses (as in my previous post) as you say there are only a few.

Sea Urchin 17:47 05 May 2010

Outlook and Outlook Express are too different programs, so there is some confusion there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache