Lost Documents and icons problem

Donna-M 01:47 19 Apr 2011

After a windows update my PC has gone weird ( XP home, service pack 3), all items from the desktop are gone, as are all my documents and there are no programs in the start menu ( all the folders with the programs are there on C drive) . The folders "My music and My Documents" are there but none of my files are there. Checked show hidden files from the folder options and went to look back in C:\Documents and Settings\myusername but that is empty.I have quite a lot of items (around 20gb) in the documents and the hard drive has the same free space size so nothing is deleted. Any ideas

Nontek 08:14 19 Apr 2011

First, just try a simple re-start. If still the same, re-start again in Safe mode - repeatedly press F8 during startup - then in safe mode, try a System Restore back to before you did the update.

Donna-M 10:29 19 Apr 2011

Thanks for the reply, first thing I tried :) and that didnt work. After a hour of messing around I found out windows has moved all my files to a dir000 and dir001 folder hidden away in C drive. The files seem to work but the programs wont. I think i can copy all the documents but looks like a fresh install of windows may be needed.

Nontek 12:21 19 Apr 2011

If you have the original XP disc, perhaps you could try a Repair first?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie