Lost Disconnect from Internet

Smee 10:29 26 Jul 2003

I run Windows XP Home.
I recently downloaded and installed a file sharing program called WinMX. I had a few problems with it (it seemed to want to keep me on-line always) so after a few days I decided that it was not for me and uninstalled it.
Now I am unable to disconnect the computer from the telephone line.
I no longer have the System Tray icon where I could left click and disconnect and the option to disconnect when I shut down IE does not appear.
I am reduced to crawling under the desk to pull out the telephone connection from the wall socket!!
HELP ???

bremner 10:43 26 Jul 2003

To ensure all is well I would use System Resore to return your set up to its state before installation of WinMX.

The System Tray icon is put there by IE6 under Tools>Internet Options>Connections if I remember correctly.

menorcarob2 10:45 26 Jul 2003

try this go to network connections / propertys of the connection a nd make sure that the "show icon in notification area when connected" is ticked

Smee 11:28 26 Jul 2003

Thanks for trying menorcarob2 but when I go to Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections,Network Connections - I have no icons representing ISP's in fact I have no icons in the panel at all.
Also thanks to bremmer but (and I was not going to mention this) I turned off Windows Restore and now do not have a restore point to go back to!!

bremner 12:04 26 Jul 2003

doh.......

menorcarob2 15:30 26 Jul 2003

i think you can undue a restore

menorcarob2 15:31 26 Jul 2003

To undo the last restoration
Access System Restore through Help and Support.
Click Undo my last restoration. Save all files and close all programs, and then click Next.
Notes

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.
If you want to undo an earlier restoration, click Restore my computer to an earlier time in the Welcome to System Restore screen, and then select the relevant restore operation restore point listed in the System Restore Wizard

Djohn 15:41 26 Jul 2003

Open IE, click on tools/Internet options, then connections tab, then "Settings".

Lower half of the window that appears you will see, "Dial up settings" with your username and password in the box. Immediately to the right of this you will see two options, 1) Properties, and 2) "Advanced".

click on the Advanced button and you will see another window. This will have a line saying, "Disconnect from internet when connection no longer required". Place a tick in the box and click your way back out again.

Now when you close your browser, you will see the window asking do you wish to stay on line or not. j.

Smee 19:20 26 Jul 2003

Many thanks to all who answered. Problem solved.

Djohn 21:07 26 Jul 2003

Will you be kind enough to let us know how you solved the problem. This is to help many others that may read the thread, having the same problem. Regards. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?