Lost Desktop Backgrounds

chrisbenwalker 21:23 22 Sep 2008

I have recently lost the ability to change the desktop background on my pc, amd all I get is a plain blue backgroud. I can chane the colours in the properties, but each time I try to select a picture, it will show in the properties tab, but wont show on the background.

I have recently tried to set a background from a digital camera, before I had transferred the pictures to the pc (don't ask me why.....but we all make mistakes....) and its only since then that the problem started.

I have Googled but to no avail.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Technotiger 21:28 22 Sep 2008

Have you tried a System Restore back to before the Camera boob?

chrisbenwalker 22:22 22 Sep 2008

yeah, tried that but for some reason it keeps saying it cannot be restored and no changes have been made....

Technotiger 22:25 22 Sep 2008

Go into your My Pictures and right-click on a picture, see if you get the option to 'Set as Desktop background' ...

chrisbenwalker 22:32 22 Sep 2008

yep, got that, but it does not set it.

Technotiger 22:34 22 Sep 2008

Hmm, possibly a glitch in the Registry - try running click here in its default form.

chrisbenwalker 22:37 22 Sep 2008

ok ta, i'll try that..........

Sea Urchin 23:43 22 Sep 2008

Sounds like malware - work your way carefully through quietman7's solution - try the kellys-korner link first which might be enough.

click here

If not then proceed to the cleandesktop solution, but you will find that the link to that has expired - so use this one instead

click here

Good luck

Sea Urchin 23:46 22 Sep 2008

Forgot to mention - this solution is only for XP

chrisbenwalker 20:51 23 Sep 2008

Thanks both who helped me with this problem.

Sea Urchin - your suggestion on the first link you suggested sorted the problem and I have my desktop backgrounds back.

I will run Ccleaner aswell as not done so yet....

Sea Urchin 21:51 23 Sep 2008

Fantastic - delighted to hear that the easier route worked for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone