Lost connection to home wi-fi network

Paul33 18:22 28 Mar 2014

My son's desktop PC has happily connected via a TP-Link adapter to our home PC - maximum signal strength, no issues.

Today, I disconnected the adapter from his PC in order to slot in a USB stick and copy some files. When I re-connected the adapter, I lost internet access and still can't get it back !

Under available networks, it sees a powerful Wi-Fi signal and Device Manager shows the adapter as working fine too. If I click on "Connect" for our Wi-Fi signal, it tries and then states it can not connect.

I have rebooted the PC many times, rebooted the cable modem, even completed a system restore for a couple of days back and still I can't connect.

Anybody have any ideas as this is baffling given all I did was remove the USB connector and then put it back in again (have tried various USB sockets too).

Paul33 18:47 28 Mar 2014

When I say connected via a TP-Link adapter to our home PC, I meant our home cable modem Wi-Fi network ...... sorry !

rdave13 20:17 28 Mar 2014

Try removing the adapter again, wait a few seconds, then plug it in the usb port again. Do you get the flashing green light? Or try removing the adapter, shut down, connect the adapter and boot up.

rdave13 20:27 28 Mar 2014

Did you use the 'safely remove hardware' icon in the notification area before you disconnected the adapter? This can sometimes create problems if you did not.

Paul33 22:17 28 Mar 2014

My son resolved it in my absence (embarrassing I know !) ...... turned out it needed to be re-synced with the modem by pressing a sync button on both the adapter and modem !

Sorted and learnt something new !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone