'lost' boot device!

Ian-189243 18:20 16 Oct 2004

Help!

I tried to install a new CD-RW today, and when i switched my machine back on, the start system began, the pc recognised the slave device; showed the info 'display page' thats always disappears before you can read any of it; then king of seizes up before telling me to install a boot device or insert booting material into a boot device..?

All i did was change the CD-RW and they are both set to Slave on the 'jump' connection.

Unless I accidently 'disconnected' something or pulled a power lead out of somewhere..

Its all wires to me..Any ideas???

VoG II 18:30 16 Oct 2004

Somehow the new drive may have been set as the first boot device.

First you need to enter the BIOS. This normally means pressing a key, or combination of keys, immediately after switch-on. A message to this effect usually flashes up on the screen when you switch on, such as "To enter setup press Del". Other common BIOS codes are listed at click here.

When the BIOS screen appears you will see a set of menu options. Look for one labelled Boot or Startup and select the item Boot Order, or First Boot.

Change the setting to read the serial number of your hard drive drive (or HD0 or HD1, depending on your BIOS), Save the Change and Exit the BIOS. Restart your computer.

Ian-189243 18:37 16 Oct 2004

Thanks for getting back to me!

I put the old CD-R back in; and on start up the pc recognised that it had been changed, but still failed at the same place and gave the same message.

Do you still think it is a settings issue?

VoG II 18:44 16 Oct 2004

I think that you need to go into the BIOS and check which device is set as the first boot device.

281apple 07:32 17 Oct 2004

You wrote that "All i did was change the CD-RW and they are both set to Slave on the 'jump' connection." I am pretty sure that usually when you install a new CD it becomes the Master and the second one becomes the Slave. Never heard of having two slaves and no Master. I changed CD's twice and each time had to designate the new one as Master and the other one and (if I remember correctly) former Master became the slave.

Ian-189243 10:25 17 Oct 2004

I've replaced the original CD-R with a CD-RW..the original was set to slave so i copied that...I think that the hard drive was/is the master.

If i set the cd to master; i don't even get past the first screen; the boot procedure doesn't 'see' the CD.

I just have a feeling that something may have been inadvertantly unplugged; and coz its a reworked machine there are loose plugs all over the place (not very tidy).

If so; what would have to have been disconnected for the system to recognise that a CD is installed but then not to see the boot up information that is on the hartd drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?