Lost all sounds such as windows startup and recycl

prince midas 10:20 05 Feb 2010

I have now lost all the startup sounds when I load Vista on my HP laptop including the recycle bin.
I notice that on my computer it now shows a red icon among the existing white icons and this icon includes a circle with a line through it and to the left of it what I think is a mute sign.I have tried altering the sound setup on control panel with no luck,help please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 05 Feb 2010

Check in device manager to see if there is any exclamation marks against the sound drivers.

Sea Urchin 10:58 05 Feb 2010

Are you saying that it is just Windows System sounds that are not working - and other sound (such as playing CDs) is OK?

If so, try this:

Press Windows Key+R and in the Run box type regedit - click OK

Once registry editor has opened up left click on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key. In the right hand pane you will see a binary string value that says

Name: (default)
Type: REG_SZ
Data: VALUE NOT SET

If your data does NOT say "value not set" simply right click on the default string and delete. Windows will immediately create you a new one. Restart your computer and you should hear sounds. If it DOES say "value not set" then close Registry Editor and you'll need to try something else.

As always when amending the registry do a backup before you start.

prince midas 11:22 05 Feb 2010

The first answer I got shows nothing in device manager out of order.I then tried the reg setting.
It gave Default,reg_sz
display statistics value data 0
nothing else

Sea Urchin 11:44 05 Feb 2010

In the registry setting you should have 3 columns in the right-hand pane

Under Name it should say (Default)

Under Type it should say REG_SZ

Under Data it should say (value not set)

SO, as I said above, if the Data column DOES NOT SAY (value not set) then you should right-click on that default string and Delete. Then close Registry Editor and reboot your computer.

You are saying that your entry under Data reads "display statistics value 0" - so yours does NOT say (value not set).

Therefore follow the delete procedure.

prince midas 15:51 05 Feb 2010

Sea Urchin sorry but until I opened the registry further I only so 2 columns but now I see 3.
S0 what do I do now.
Name Default Type Reg_sz Data Value not set
Display Statistics Type Reg_dword Data 0x00000000

Sorry,hope you can help me.It is only windows sounds I have lost not CD sounds.

Sea Urchin 16:00 05 Feb 2010

OK - it does say (Value Not Set) which is correct, so that is not the answer.

I'll have a further hunt around, and let you know if I can make other suggestions. Meanwhile someone else might come in with an answer.

prince midas 16:05 05 Feb 2010

I notice that I cannot change the red speaker icon to white on my PC but in the shop when you click on the red symbol to the right of my power button it changes to white in the shop but does not work on my pc.

Sea Urchin 16:06 05 Feb 2010

You could have a look here - scroll down to the instructions to download and install the K_Lite codec pack and install the codec tweak tool. Follow the instructions from there on:

click here

Sea Urchin 20:36 05 Feb 2010

Don't know where you've got to - but if you are still looking for a solution try this - it shows how to disable system in Vista. So instead of clicking "No sounds" etc do it the other way.

click here

prince midas 11:50 06 Feb 2010

Sea Urchin I have been away until now.Your latest method worked but finding the KLite setting to download the correct version took some finding.Anyway everything is n0w working good,thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?