Lost administrator in XP Home

mik61ish 03:05 10 Dec 2008

Can’t log on to user name I tried to get auto logon XP Home after installing NET Framework 2.0 and I deleted my user name so I’ve also lost the Administrator as well so I can’t even do a system restore as I have lost, privileges to restore your system!

I have set up another user name but I can't access my documents and its altered the desktop lost my browser etc

MCE2K5 03:37 10 Dec 2008

Have you tried a System Restore to a time before you deleted your user name.

MCE2K5 03:44 10 Dec 2008

Time for bed.

brundle 09:29 10 Dec 2008

You can't access the `true` admin account in XP Home unless you boot in safe mode. Do so and adjust your user accounts from there.

ventanas 09:40 10 Dec 2008

This is XP Home so you never had an Admin account (except in Safe Mode), and everything will be different if you login under a different name, it's a completely different profile. That is why you cannot access your documents.
The last thing you should have done is deleted your user account as I don't see a way now to tgransfer ownership of the files.
What you needed to do was log in as a member of the Administrator group, go to the properties of the relevant files anf then the security tab. The Owner tab would then show the current owner, and you could transfer then to yourself from here. May still be worth a go. (I assume your new user account is an Admin). but it may take a while depending on the number of files.
Did you not create a password recovery disc, which may have prevented any of this?

mik61ish 22:58 10 Dec 2008

Hi thanks decided to reformat saved all my stuff then transferred!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?