Loss of Windows Picture & Fax Viewer

naviator 11:44 13 Jul 2009

I am presently plagued by MS who want me to accept Internet Explorer 8 as an update. I did do so once and lost Windows Picture & Fax Viewer which, as a photographer, I find an extremely useful tool.

I tried to get it back via Run but neither regsvr32shimgvw.dll nor regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll had any effect although the latter signalled success. The only way I could get it back was via System Restore. Has anyone any other solutions?

System is Windows XP home version and is fully up to date apart from IE 8.

Sea Urchin 12:09 13 Jul 2009

Have you tried the Kellys-Korner tweak to restore it? Number 80 on the list:

click here

If no good then Leo has a few suggestions which might be helpful. Possibly variations on what you've already tried, but still worth a look:

click here

Sea Urchin 14:13 13 Jul 2009

I see you have ticked this as resolved - could you share with us how you sorted it? It is not an uncommon problem, and your solution would be helpful to other people in future.

naviator 14:15 13 Jul 2009

This for the time being has been resolved in a roundabout way by deselecting auto download for updates. When invited to download them I will uncheck IE8 and accept the rest if there are any more.
Kellys-Korner was, for me, indecipherable I'm afraid but thanks for the suggestion.

naviator 14:27 13 Jul 2009

I'm sorry. My answer is not going to be of much use as I didn't actually solve the problem but merely circumnavigated it! It may well return in which case I will come back again for advice.

Sea Urchin 14:31 13 Jul 2009

Much easier to hide update for IE8 so you won't be offered it again. Run Windows Update (in IE7 Tools/Windows Update) and IE8 will appear on the list of High priority Updates. Click the title to show the description, and at the bottom you tick the box that says 'Don't Show This Update Again'. You'll need to untick the box beside the update.

Kellys Korner - just scroll down to Number 80 and click on Restore Picture and Fax Viewer - then run the fix. But you won't need it if you don't install IE8 I presume.

naviator 22:24 14 Jul 2009

As I rather suspected it might, Picture & Fax Viewer disappeared again so circumnavigation doesn't work after all although it seemed to for a time. Have been back to Kellys-Korner and used number 80 as suggested and, yes, it works! Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone