Loss of Virgin TV

skeletal 09:53 03 Dec 2009

Yesterday afternoon we lost Virgin Media TV. I tried re-booting the box (it is always crashing; surely it takes the prize as the most useless piece of technology recently made!). It kept sticking at “AP:52”, again fairly common if you check out Google.

Last night I rang 151 and heard a message saying they had TV problems in the Midlands area so I left the box overnight and found it had finally rebooted.

Now however, clicking on any channel shows “no service”.

I now cannot get through to 151.

I also cannot get on to their website “due to technical difficulties”.

Luckily, for now anyway, the usual problem from Virgin – the loss of emails – is still working.

Is anyone else suffering from this loss of service?

Skeletal

birdface 09:59 03 Dec 2009

No problem in northants.
The picture was a bit iffy at times last night but nothing serious.
have you tried switching the box off for 2 minutes and then on again and wait till it sets up all of the channels again before trying it.

birdface 10:02 03 Dec 2009

click here

Anything there that helps.

skeletal 10:18 03 Dec 2009

Hmm…

Interesting about the picture. Yes over the past few days, prior to the total loss, there has been a few instances of it breaking up, now you mention it.

You are also correct about the switching off routine. In fact this is what I mean by a “reboot”. The actual reboot button on the box never sorts out its problems.

I tried that many times yesterday, and it always got stuck on the AP:52.

I don’t really want to try now because it looked like it took the whole night to finish.

The problem is that, again due to the dreadful box design, you can’t access the recorded programs when it gets stuck trying to tune the live TV channels. The whole box is useless!

I may bite the bullet in a bit though...I suppose I’ll try ringing Virgin again in a while.

Perhaps so many people are having problems that the phone network has crashed as well!

Ah, just read your latest post. That page was what I was trying to get to, but couldn’t because the Virgin site was down...yet your link worked!?!?!

Yes, the “Customers in the Birmingham and Solihull areas may currently be experiencing a loss of their broadband Internet, digital TV, and telephone services” is the one for me.

Except my broadband is working except for direct to the Virgin site, and the fact it started yesterday, not 8:50 which is the ticket time.

Thanks for the thoughts and link...looks like I need to wait a bit yet.

Skeletal

skeletal 17:44 03 Dec 2009

Up and running again, so will tick as resolved.

I'm too scared to try another reboot though.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone