Loss of video on 'wmv' files using dual monitors

rosko999 20:58 28 Feb 2006

With assistance from this helproom I have successfully ‘cloned’ my desktop onto two monitors (both connected via a "128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 Pro w/TV out" video card.

Unfortunately, since then, I have been unable to view the video output on ‘wmv’ files.

The audio on these files is OK but no video is displayed.

If I disable the second monitor then the video on the ‘wmv’ file is restored.

I am using Windows Media Player v10

Can anybody help me to sort this please?

De Marcus™ 21:01 28 Feb 2006

Macrovision technology prevents you from doing this.

rosko999 21:15 28 Feb 2006

De Marcus - What is 'Macrovision'?
Is there any way round this?

De Marcus™ 21:38 28 Feb 2006

Macrovision is a technology designed to prevent unlawful copying of copyright material from one source to another in laymans terms. Your graphics card has this built in (as do all) and it will only allow you to playback on your primary monitor, unfair as that sounds, as far as the MT (macrovision technology) is concerned you could be outputting that signal to a VCR, DVD recorder, projector which is interpreted as breaking copyright law.

It's an old technology that has never been 'hard to crack' but in terms of graphics cards they are very few 'fixes' about. (MT is built into things such as your VCR, DVD player and DVD recorder, Freeview box, etc) You basically stand very little chance of getting around it in terms of a pc dual monitor setup.

It seems a shame that when this technology is part and parcel of graphics cards that they don't include some kind of device recognition hardware, for example: playing back on a dual monitor setup = fine, playing back on a projector = a tad dubious, or even playing back to a DVD recorder = fat chance.

De Marcus™ 21:42 28 Feb 2006

If this is a real problem then you could always try googling you graphic cards name + macrovision. Another point is I don't think macrovision is applied to VGA.

rosko999 21:50 28 Feb 2006

De Marcus - many thanks for your detailed explanation, I am enlightened.
I'll mark this post as 'resolved'.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?