loss of tiscali broadband connection

rainpickle 16:53 15 Mar 2006

It doesn't always happen, but frequently the broadband connection is lost - usually after half an hour from initial connection. Have looked for a timeout switch without success. All cable connections ok and modem lights remain on. Anyone had this problem?

Stuartli 17:53 15 Mar 2006

From Control Panel or IE's Tools>Internet Options>Connections>highlight ISP>Settings>Advanced button, check that both boxes are unchecked and also, from the Connections tab, that Always Dial My Default Connection is Enabled.

rainpickle 11:43 16 Mar 2006

Thanks Stuarti, have checked as you suggest and all settings are OK, but it's still likely to happen again.

taffyal 15:24 16 Mar 2006

I've had a problem with Tisc for a while- Loses connection a number of times a day, I have it set to automatically redial, but its a nuisance when d/loading. Got on to Tisc, followed all their suggestions to no avail, finally insisted they got on to BT. BT have, v.quickly, run tests on my line & are sending an engineer to my house tomorrow.May be worth a try? I'll keep you posted on my outcome. Cheers, Al

soullight 15:37 16 Mar 2006

i was with them, great price, rubbish IS. Ive moved away from them now but if your planning on stickin then are u using the modem they sent you? i used their one at the time and i had that trouble so i bought a decent modem/router and very rarly lost connection then. problem was when i had troubles it cost an arm and aleg in phone bills to talk to them and then you gotta understand them. my advise, pay that be extra and get and IS that is worth the money

taffyal 15:19 17 Mar 2006

Update: BT engineer arrived promptly & checked line, showed me it passed all tests. Fitted a new box with built in filter, to see if that would help- & its only cut off once today! Back to Tiscali & await their comments!Agree with soullight, perhaps a modem/router is best.I remember that when Tiscali supplied the sagem, one of the filters was u/s, so doesnt give much confidence!

taffyal 10:46 28 Mar 2006

Finally got Tiscali to change the Sagem to a Speedtouch. All worked perfectly, then the new BT socket failed. had a new one fitted,an ADSL adaptor, & all seems fine now. Still dont know if it was box or modem, but only difference is new phone socket has got built in filter, & I'd tried new filters, my guess is it was the modem. Strangely, Tiscali never thought of changing the modem, but when I insisted it seemed to do the trick, although I've heard bad reports about both!

Stuartli 11:25 28 Mar 2006

The Sagem modem provided by Tiscali has proved excellent in my case. The only thing I have done is to ensure that I am using the latest modem drivers from the Sagem website.

taffyal 11:30 28 Mar 2006

Hi Stuartli. Had no probs with mine for first 9 months, & had updated drivers. Seems OK now, but if problem comes back????Probably try soullights advice & more money for a modem/router. Suffice to say that Tiscali had no ideas at all! Cheers, Al

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?