Loss of telephone line when trying to connect

aitch2 12:19 11 Sep 2008

My friend is currently having a problem in connecting to the internet, so cannot ask the question for himself. Running WinXP-SP3 and his ISP is Tiscali (BroadBand), but when he is trying to connect via dial up modem, his telephone line goes dead. He has checked with BT who says the line is oK.
Tiscali say it's the in line filter. All his network connections are correct and set up properly but still cannot get on line. I'm lost for more ideas. Any other places to look or things to try?
Thanks
Aitch

oldbeefer2 12:31 11 Sep 2008

Why is he trying to conect via dial up when you say he is on Tiscali broadband?

peter99co 12:35 11 Sep 2008

Look in internet options (connections tab) and check never dial a connection?

Just a guess.

aitch2 12:35 11 Sep 2008

Sorry about the confusion. He has an external modem (broadband) not the dial up.
Aitch

oldbeefer2 12:41 11 Sep 2008

In that case, it does sound as though the filter might be faulty. Worth trying another - they're cheap enough.

aitch2 12:44 11 Sep 2008

Thanks for tha, but have already gone through the internet options etc. Everything as it should be!
Aitch

Clapton is God 12:51 11 Sep 2008

Does your friend have a filter on every telephone socket which has something connected to it (phone, fax, Sky box, etc)?

aitch2 12:55 11 Sep 2008

No, he doesn't but the line has been ok since he went broadband 2 years ago, and he's done nothing to alter the configuration since then. He hasn't added or removed any programs or made any other changes, but it is just that yesterday he switched on as normal and that's when the problem started.
Aitch

Clapton is God 13:46 11 Sep 2008

In spite of what you say "the line has been ok since he went broadband 2 years ago", I suggest that he fits a filter to every socket which has something connected to it.

See if that helps.

aitch2 14:49 11 Sep 2008

Just come back from my friends house and only 2 sockets in use with anything connected, both with filters. Culprit found to be the Sagem Modem with the ADSL light being intermittent and dropping the conncetion. When I set up a spare external modem everything ok so he is now back to square. Many thanks for all the help,
Much appreciated
Aitch

oldbeefer2 14:57 11 Sep 2008

Odd. Shouldn't have affected the telephone line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie