Loss of sound device and volume control, Win ME

laurie-339192 17:40 17 Jan 2004

I have a dual boot machine, Windows Xp Home and Me. All of a sudden I have lost all sound from Me only, I can't get any volume control to appear and the machine tells me, through the Control Panel, that no audio capture device is fitted. When I start with XP, though, the sound works perfectly so I assume the internal sound and the sound card must be working properly. I have never had any problems with sound output from Me before and all relevant Control Panel references seem to indicate no obvious problems (no question or exclamation marks in Device Manager). I have tried Start>Run>SNDVOL32 okay, but without any success. Unwittingly, I seem to have sabotaged the audio system and I have no idea where else to look. I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.

Big Elf 18:17 17 Jan 2004

You have XP and still run ME! Seriously, maybe you could either extract it from the ME Install CD or copy the XP version over. I take it you can hear sound just not control it?

laurie-339192 19:01 17 Jan 2004

Sorry if it's so surprising - I'm more used to Me, that's all and most of the time I find it effective.
The sound on XP is both audible and controllable - nothing at all on ME, it's as if the machine is not fitted with sound.

Big Elf 19:42 17 Jan 2004

Maybe try reinstalling the sound card drivers?

laurie-339192 17:31 20 Jan 2004

Thanks for your advice, Big Elf, but i don't appear to have these available. Any more suggestions?

Big Elf 17:46 20 Jan 2004

If you mean that you don't have the sound card drivers/software anymore then let us know the make and model of the card so we can track them down.

laurie-339192 22:57 20 Jan 2004

As I said at the beginning, the sound on the XP system of my dual boot system works well and is entirely controllable. The system information here is that the sound card is a C Media CM18738/PCI Audio Device. As far as ME is concerned, there is no audio device fitted so presumably the latter system has for some reason lost its access to the driver. I have tried copying this driver from XP to a CD but I can't persuade ME to take it up.
Thank you for your interest, Big Elf, I greatly appreciate your help.

Big Elf 23:06 20 Jan 2004

Have you tried the 'add hardware' option in the ME control panel?

If you switch to the classic view option by right clicking on the Start button and selecting the Classic Start Menu option in and the same in Dislay Properties, Appearance tab then XP becomes more familiar to you if you've used earlier versions.

woodchip 23:10 20 Jan 2004

The Drivers are probably on a Motherboard CD

laurie-339192 08:02 02 Feb 2004

Thank you all for your advice. I did manage to load what I thought was an appropriate C Media driver but this didn't solve the problem. With help locally, I downloaded an older driver from the C Media site and this did evetually restore the sound. I greatly appreciate the thoughts of those who reponded and, Big Elf, I am acting on your advice regarding XP.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?