Loss of sound

Yimbo 20:24 24 Mar 2010

Just recently, when I want to listen to a web broadcast, or watch YouTube, I get sound for the first two or three seconds, then it fades out to an unintelligible rumble. I can play my own music files OK through RealPlayer, Windows Media Player etc., but my down-loaded video files are very distorted (picture and sound).
I have Sound Blaster X-FiXtreme Audio, Creative 5/1 sound system and I'm on XP Home SP3. My system is just over a year old. The speakers give no sound at all, and what I do hear comes only via my headphones. I would appreciate any help/ advice.
Thanks.

Yimbo 19:58 25 Mar 2010

Thanks for the advice! Here's my original post above!

VoG II 19:59 25 Mar 2010

System Restore to when it was working?

MAT ALAN 20:03 25 Mar 2010

first thing to try would be to load latest drivers for your soundcard...

stupid as it seems unplugging and plugging stuff back in can help, namely the cables for your speaker system..

next question would be, has it always been like this...

lotvic 00:00 26 Mar 2010

could it be something to do with Codecs?

Yimbo 00:50 26 Mar 2010

VoG - I tried System Restore - but it would not restore - except in Safe Mode. That has made a big difference! The sound and videos from YouTube etc, are now OK - but only through my headphones. The Speaker system is not responding at all - no signs of life!

Mat Alan: I've done the unplug/plug bit with no effect. And no, it hasn't always been like this! The sound was superb until recently. You mention loading the latest drivers. How would I go about this please?

lotvic: "something to do with codecs" - Maybe, but I'm lost in this area too! What would you advise please?

I really appreciate all your help! Thanks!

Woolwell 12:04 26 Mar 2010

Which browser are you using to watch a web broadcast/you tube?

Yimbo 16:41 29 Mar 2010

I use IE8. I get about 2 seconds of sound- then just a bassy sort of rumble! My 5:1 speakers produce nothing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache