Loss of Sound

Jonah1000 14:05 30 Dec 2006

Hi, i just noticed today that I have no sound on my pc. I did have up to a few weeks ago.

How can I check what the problem may be and fix it?

I have used system restore, still no sound, no system beeps, or dvd, or cd sounds

System XP, i think the sound card is soundmax intergrated digital audio.

Puzzled? Any susgestions?

Technotiger 14:09 30 Dec 2006

Hi, no system beeps? Check your power connections and you PSU.

Diodorus Siculus 14:10 30 Dec 2006

Right click my computer

properties

hardware

device manager

Any yellow exclamation marks?

Have you been into BIOS? Could be that it was disabled there.

birdface 14:24 30 Dec 2006

Have you tried Sound and audio devices in control panel,Or all Programs ,Accessories,Entertainment, Volume control, Or if someone else has been using your computer, They may have turned the sound off,on the keyboard,You may have a mute button on it, if no yellow exclamation marks in device manager,Microsoft are getting their up=dates wrong, And you may have to roll back your driver to previous one,

Jonah1000 14:32 30 Dec 2006

hi

what is power connections and psu, tech?

theres noo exclamation marks, haven't been into bios(what is that), diodorus

tried voloume control to, and mute.

how do i roll back the driver, buteman?

Technotiger 14:46 30 Dec 2006

Well, if you are sure that you are not getting any beeps at all when you are starting your pc, this sometimes means that there is a faulty power connection, or a loose internal card, or a short on the mobo. However, it may well not be any of these things if you are able to start-up and try System Restore, or if you are able to get into Devices to check as mentioned above by
the orher members.

Technotiger 14:48 30 Dec 2006

PS - PSU is your Power Supply Unit, connected to the Mains, where your Mains cable plugs into the back of the PC.

rdave13 14:50 30 Dec 2006

Try start > run > type services.msc Scroll down to windows audio > right click and make sure it's started and on automatic.

Jonah1000 14:52 30 Dec 2006

when i switch on the speakers or re-connect them, i can hear the speaker connecting, a slight quick buzz (for want of a better word).

so it seems the speakers have power, and any connections have not been changed.

skidzy 15:13 30 Dec 2006

I dont think this is your problem but certainly worth a shot.

It may be possible if the sound is enabled in the bios you have a missing or broken audio codec. try this click here

skidzy 15:22 30 Dec 2006

Something to try that has not been mentioned...have you actually tried different speakers to find out if the speakers are faulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache