loss of sound

Denis-174866 16:09 25 Oct 2005

hi,i'm asking this question on behalf of a friend, he suddenly lost the sound on his win-xp while downloading a cd from the net, the sound was working perfectly before and now nothing at all.checked all sound settings and nothing is muted, speakers are connected properly and the sound drivers have not been deleted, everything appears to be there but still no sound,can anyone help thanks.

woodchip 16:14 25 Oct 2005

I had this once, it may work it costs nothing to try. Wiggle the Jack plugs pull out slightly etc

Denis-174866 16:27 25 Oct 2005

hi woodchip tried that, also disconnected the speakers and connected headphones but still no sound,thanks.

Stuartli 16:29 25 Oct 2005

I had exactly the same problem last night after installing a new TV card driver...:-(

Everything in Device Manager was absolutely spot on but even so my SoundBlaster Live! sound card was not recognised despite a variety of attempts to return the status quo. There were various other problems as well that were equally frustrating.

Only thing that cured it was a Repair of XP Pro and SP2 and subsequent reinstalling of various XP updates since SP2 was launched just over a year ago...:-(((

Sans le Sou 16:30 25 Oct 2005

You may need to reinstall the soundcard drivers, I do not know why this happens but a reinstall sometimes does the trick.

Denis-174866 16:45 25 Oct 2005

many thanks for your help,shall reinstall the drivers from os disc then see what happens thanks for your time.if anyone thinks of anything else dont hesitate to reply.dende.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?