LOSS OF SOUND

OLD CODGER 15:39 25 Jun 2005

I am running Windows 98SE. When I returned to my computer after a thunder storm the screen was blank but the HD was running, I tried to reboot after switching off but nowt happened (the HD was not spinning)after I left it a short time I tried again and every thing worked apart from the sound!! and the sound icon was missing from the tool bar.
Can any one help me please

Diodorus Siculus 15:59 25 Jun 2005

Do you know the type of soundcard in the machine? If so, go to the manufacturer site and get new drivers; if not, click here
and download Everest which will ID it for you.

OLD CODGER 16:49 25 Jun 2005

When I goto Multimedia Devices I get the message-
Intel 56k HaM Serial Wave Device Status: Driver is enabled but inactive due to unknown prblem

pj123 17:05 25 Jun 2005

I think you have blown your modem. I have been out to two people yesterday (Friday) who have been struck by the latest lightning storms. Both have had to buy and install new modems.

Pidder 18:27 25 Jun 2005

Can't really see the connection between a u/s modem and loss of sound. I wonder if Old Codger has tried running Scandisk, or SFC ? I find the former useful if I get a hang-up with 98 SE.

OLD CODGER 15:42 28 Jun 2005

Thanks all I reloaded the Drivers, problem solved.Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?