Loss of progs/my docs when reloading BIOS defaults

SmileyNoBike 09:45 30 Oct 2007

I have a freecom usb TV stick which started creating a jerky picture when I used it last time on my desktop. I also had the same problem on my laptop which ended up being caused due to the usb ports reverting back to rev 1.1 for some reason. The supplier (Novatech) of the laptop gave me a very simple routine to rectify the problem and all is now working correctly on the laptop. I tried the same thing on my desktop PC and things have gone very wrong.
Routine as follows;
Upon boot i was told to enter the bios and load optimal defaults, save and exit. That simple. I tried this on my desktop and the PC has reverted back three months to when I installed a new HDD, thus losing the contents of my documents, removing programmes, reverting/removing drivers and that is what I have discovered so far. Big question, is there an undo to this? Can I reclaim any of the information lost from "my documents". Drivers and removed progammes can be downloaded and re-installed

paul€ 10:48 30 Oct 2007

" Upon boot i was told to enter the bios and load optimal defaults, save and exit. That simple. I tried this on my desktop and the PC has reverted back three months to when I installed a new HDD, thus losing the contents of my documents, removing programmes, reverting/removing drivers and that is what I have discovered so far."

If you are saying it has wiped data from your hard drive by selecting bios defaults.

IMHO. Thats impossible.

Are these lost documents on the main hard drive that holds windows, if they are they should not be altered.

If they are on a different or removable drive, then yes, that drive might need to be re-configured in the bios to be seen in windows. You should not loose anything.

If you have picked the wrong Fkey and select to revert the system to factory defaults, then yes you have wiped the system and lost trhe files.

SmileyNoBike 11:26 30 Oct 2007

Paul£
firstly apologies as I don't appear to have the Euro sign on my keyboard, and thanks for the reply.

On to the subject matter, I totally agree with you on the idea that data apparently has been wiped. There is no reason for this to have occured.

However upon re-boot after the "load optimised defaults" & "save and exit" I was presented with my old desktop picture, which first started raising my eyebrows. Then I noticed that some icons weren't laid out in the same places, some were missing and old ones re-appeared. further investigation revealed "My Docs" folder to be completely empty including the usual "My Photos", "My Music" etc. The VGA driver reverted to an earlier version and the printer drivers have dissappeared completely. Just to name what I discovered before I canned it for the night. Oh and Win XP flagged up that I need to register it again due to a major change to the config (hardware I think) of the PC.

Has the data been wiped? Not sure. But its definitely not visible.

Yes the docs were on the same physical HDD as Windows and within the same partition.

I entered the BIOS using the "Del" key as suggested on the boot up screen. I have re-checked and the option I selected in the BIOS,it clearly reads "Load optimised defaults". Nothing about you're going to loose the contents of your Docs etc! I wasn't aware that there was any other way to enter the BIOS.

SmileyNoBike 13:57 30 Oct 2007

Marg7,
I've been trying to limit the use. Somethingelse I've just noticed is my email has reverted back to office xp from office 2007 and firefox is using an older format. I keep coming back to the same question, why?

SmileyNoBike 14:35 30 Oct 2007

Crisis over and done. Coops from the Novatech forum (same guy who resolved the original snag) has suggested checking to see if the BIOS has altered the boot sequence back to my old IDE drive. Guess what, he was bang on. Something to store at the back of your mind for another occasion.
Paul & Marg and any others that have viewed, many thanks
Smiley

Diemmess 15:25 30 Oct 2007

Like perhaps many others I was fascinated with this, but stayed out because I had nothing useful to say.

paul€ was right saying this was impossible.

So it seemed, but to be fair, I don't think anyone realised that the new HD was added to the computer and assumed it had replaced the earlier one!

Unless you want to use multi booting, it seems an idea worth thinking about, to format the non active HD and use it as a store for data and everything including a full backup (Acronis) of your proper system and its applications.

SmileyNoBike 20:19 30 Oct 2007

I again totally agree Diemmess about it being inconceivable that this had caused the data to be erased. And I guess due to the fact that I did not fully state that I ADDED the sataII rather than used it as a complete replacement may have caused some confusion.

No I'm not in any real need for a multi boot system so I guess I should actually get round to formatting and use it as a back up till it is fitted to my son's new PC (another job to be completed!)

Dad, I'm sure you've probably seen this thread by now. Don't give me too much grief next time I'm round about not backing up regularly!

paul€ 20:27 30 Oct 2007

Thats why:))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone