loss of laptop keypad and touchpad

lamond 19:36 22 Oct 2008

As my laptop is mostly used as a desktop replacement, I installed a Belkin wireless keyboard & mouse (Wireless Desktop 280 Bundle). Now I cannot take the laptop away from the Belkin bundle because the integral keyboard and touchpad on my MSI ER710 just don't function.
Belkin have been b****y useless, no responses at all. MSI say it is a Belkin issue.
Any suggestions out there?

Technotiger 19:44 22 Oct 2008

I am not too familiar with laptops, but in the BIOS is there not the option to enable/disable the keyboard & touchpad?

Technotiger 19:44 22 Oct 2008

You might have to un-install the Belkin bundle first perhaps.

lamond 19:51 22 Oct 2008

Have already uninstalled it twice, to no effect.

Technotiger 19:52 22 Oct 2008

Have you looked in the BIOS ?

lamond 19:57 22 Oct 2008

Will try it, thanks.

lamond 20:10 22 Oct 2008

Doesn't work, I am running Vista (unfortunately) and the BIOS options don't allow that.

Technotiger 20:14 22 Oct 2008

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean - can you actually get into the BIOS menu - on a desktop it is by pressing Del during start-up.

lamond 20:35 22 Oct 2008

Yes that's right, but in a desktop and under XP and its predecesors, you have access to control peripherals like mouse & keyboard, but, for some reason, there is no option for this in Vista. When I go in via Control panel, it tells me I have hardware shown as WHEEL MOUSE PS2 MOUSE, which is the Belkin wireless mouse and HID-compliant mouse, which I am assuming is the touchpad and both are enabled and finctioning properly.
The keyboard hardware is shown as Standard PS2 Keyboard which I again assume is the Belkin and HID Keyboard Device which is the integral keyboard.

Technotiger 20:41 22 Oct 2008

Have you got a USB Mouse or PS2 ordinary mouse to try?

lamond 20:49 22 Oct 2008

Yes, the USB mouse works, but the integral keyboard doesn't which means that I can't enter passwords to get in without the Belkin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone