loss of Internet explorer

Lombard 12:19 30 Nov 2008

System is DELL 8200 XP Pro fully updated. Have lost Internet explorer. When clicking on Desktop icon it flashes on and off. Programs when minimised do not go to task bar..they shut down. Shortcuts previously on task bar have also disappeared. System Restore will not run. This all happened when trying to get a BT Home hub working. The computer this is being written on is on the same hub and working perfectly. I should mention I had the other machine working when I disabled Norton System Works 2005 from start up. When trying to get on the internet by changing Norton it happened and now even System Works wants activation and it has not been uninstalled.

Would be grateful for a solution that does not mean a Windows re-load!!

Ex plorer 01:19 01 Dec 2008

Try a windows XP Repair you will need an XP disk and set your PC to boot to CD if its not already on CD.
click here for instructions its straight forward and print them out first before the repair if needed.
The repair will leave your files intact, so there will be no reloading of any software.

Ex plorer 01:26 01 Dec 2008

Also heres how to set to boot from CD, and the screens you will see to get the repair under way.

Ex plorer 01:26 01 Dec 2008
  Lombard 20:37 01 Dec 2008

Thks for prompt help.
No luck, programs minimise to task bar now, but Explorer gives message " Procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in dynamic link library SHLWAPI. dll"

I have yet to install SP2, could this be related?
Thanks

Lombard 10:45 20 Jan 2009

Repaired, using original OE software, XP would not accept update of SP2 or SP3. IE was not available and trying to install a download of IE 6 or 7 failed. A PC repair company decided to overwrite by installing another copy of XP at SP3 level using original serial number. Now internet explorer works but Norton System Works fails to load, inspite of having used Norton Removal Tool first. Microsoft site can be accessed but will not allow updates to be downloaded. Repairer says it should because the original serial number was used.
Appreciate help or advice

birdface 10:52 20 Jan 2009

If you want to remove Norton.click here That will remove it all from your computer.

birdface 11:25 20 Jan 2009

Now sfc /scannow might work if You have the Xp disc.Not sure if .Tools Internet Options.Advanced and press reset would work as that takes Internet explorer back to its original state.Or maybe try System restore in safe mode.Or have a look here. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le combat entre McGregor et Mayweather ?