Loss of drives

waterland 17:48 14 Dec 2006

For some unknown reason my computer does not find my cd drive or dvd drive when I switch on They both operate ie the trays open and close but on looking at My Computer they are not there???
Looking at Device Manager the items are there but with ! it says "windows cannot start this device because its configeration information (in the registry)is incomplete or damaged (code19)troubleshooting does nothing.Can anybody help this novice?? This has happened for no apparent reason.Thank you

Jackcoms 17:50 14 Dec 2006

Try System Restore

Joe R 17:50 14 Dec 2006

waterland,

right click on each in device manager and uninstall both. Windows should then reinstall both with correct drivers, when rebooted.

Diemmess 17:53 14 Dec 2006

For a start:-
Go back to Control Panel and where you find the yellow triangle containing the ! - right click on it and choose uninstall or disable whichever it is.

Now reboot, and hopefully Windows will make a fresh copy of the drivers and you should be back to normal

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 14 Dec 2006

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

rawprawn 17:57 14 Dec 2006

click here scroll down to CD missing from my computer and download the fix. This often happens if you have uninstalled some Photo burning program.

waterland 17:59 14 Dec 2006

Thanks Jackcoms but it wo`nt let me restore to an earlier date I have tried .
Joe R Ihave tried that but will try again!!!
Diemess likewise
Fruit bat that seems too technical for me!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 14 Dec 2006
  waterland 18:21 14 Dec 2006

Still no joy guys

skidzy 18:29 14 Dec 2006

Maybe a little easier to understand,but basically as above.

Look for the upper and lower filters,this will delete the drive,xp will do the rest upon reboot.
You may find only the lower filters will exist,delete these.

Also double check you have found the correct registry path,one letter or nunber could point you in the wrong direction.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic etc.

Try the below link first,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first.

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

sunny staines 19:03 14 Dec 2006

I had this a couple years back had to reinstall nero software then all was ok. do you have nero by any chance if so try a reinstall.[when nero ver6 first came out]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017