Loss of connection

ivesy 14:00 01 Apr 2006

My girlfriends parents PC is a 400MHZ Celeron with 64mb RAM running Windows ME. Recently they signed upto Tesco Broadband but are having trouble staying connected to the internet for more than about 5-10 minutes.

I've installed Avast anti virus and Zonealarm and Adaware. I've made sure Windows ME is uptodate and all the drivers are uptodate too.

I've been on the ADSL site to check the speed and (when they are on) found they are getting speeds over 1.0Mmbps. So I can't really blame Tesco. I've rang them and they can't really help me get to the route of this problem.

I have Tesco to and find this deosn't happen to me. I know the PC isn't cutting edge but it makes the minimum spec that is required to run Broadband.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causung this loss of connection? should the Internet options be changed?

Any help as usual would be greatly appreciated.

john-232317 15:34 01 Apr 2006

Have you run anything to check for blaster type virus ? they can cause this.

john-232317 15:47 01 Apr 2006

Is it a USB modem ?

Is it taking too much power ?

I think there are also problems with some motherboards via chipsets. Check on Via site for patches.

Or better still get a router ;-)

ivesy 17:25 01 Apr 2006

I've ran Avast and Adaware they didn't find anything. Yes it's a USB router. You lost me a bit with the last bit! It uses a USB extension hub and thinking about it all slots are taken up with things like the printer, web cam etc. Do you think that could be the problem? I really am at a loss with this one.

john-232317 18:38 01 Apr 2006

I think it could be an overload on the usb supplies, perhaps you could try a powered usb hub

click here

ivesy 19:40 01 Apr 2006

It is a powered hub!

VoG II 19:44 01 Apr 2006

Try setting their e-mail program to check for new mail once a minute.

ivesy 20:36 01 Apr 2006

Cheers VoG I'll try that, any ideas why that will help? It's Outlook they use.

VoG II 21:22 01 Apr 2006

If there is a setting somewhere that says in effect 'disconnect if idle' then getting Outlook to check once a minute will keep the connection active. If this workaround succeeds then we can investigate futher.

bluto1 23:14 01 Apr 2006

I`d also ask your girlfriends parents to consider doubling both their CPU and RAM. It`s not all that expensive for an older piece of equipment but it can eradicate some problems, not necessarily the one you`ve got.

ivesy 09:55 02 Apr 2006

I take on board about changing the CPU and upping the RAM but as the system meets (and according to some ISP's exceeds) the minimum requirements I don't see the need!

The point about about Outlook is interesting the first thing to say though is Outlook isn't running when I'm trying to access the internet. Is it possible it is checking the connection even though I haven't opened the program?

On three occasions when I've opened Outlook and we have a connection the connection is lost immediately the moment Outlook is running. That's why I haven't had it running, I've been concentrating on keeping the connection going. Could this be the problem?

It's really frustrating! But thanks for the suggestions keep 'em coming!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?