Loss of Check Disk/Tools in Drive C: property

Suratilala 10:57 14 Jan 2005

Lost system tools scan disk in Windows XP Professional. How to reinstal from Windows disk?
Surtilal

mattyc_92 11:07 14 Jan 2005

insert the disk and a menu will be displayed!!!!

Click onto the Install windows option (first on the top) and the installation process will start!!!

If you want to format your system, then insert the disk and restart your computer... When you get the message "Press any key to boot from cd" press a key and follow the on-screen instructions!!!

Danoh 11:33 14 Jan 2005

You can also try "repair" using the Windows XP Pro CD before you try re-installing, or even reformating which will wipe out your data and personalised settings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:16 14 Jan 2005

My computer - right click drive - properties - tools tab - error checking

Suratilala 17:18 17 Jan 2005

Thanks for yor help. I have reinstalled Windows without reformatting the drive from the CD but no cure. I can' run disk check and repair the disk faults because Tools tab is missing from the C dive property and Scan Disk is not available in System Toos. Please help. Thanks
Surtilala

Danoh 09:33 18 Jan 2005

Go to Start > Run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Have your Windows disk ready in the CD drive beforehand. Will take a while to run as it checks to see if all the installation files are present/ok and fixes any that are not.

Suratilala 12:21 18 Jan 2005

Danoh,
Thanks for your advice. I tried to run "sfc/scannow" but I got the message that file not found. Then checked through "Search" but this file is not on the HD so I have to reinstall this file from the Windows CD. Please tell me how to reinstall this filefrom the CD. I like to install the whole System Tools. Please help. Thank you. Surtilala

Danoh 13:31 18 Jan 2005

Did you have a space between SFC and /scannow?

sfc.exe is a program file which should be in your C:\\Windows\system32 folder. If you can not find it there, then it looks like you have a badly corrupted Windows installation. If that is the case, you will have to do a complete clean install of Windows, including formating your hard drive, after backing all your data so you can copy it all back again after the clean install, of course.

Cook2 13:55 18 Jan 2005

For XP use chkdsk not scandisk.

Suratilala 12:52 19 Jan 2005

Danoh,Cook2, Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried chkdsk but the same result. I think I have a badly curropted Windows installation so I have to reformat the drive and start from the scratch. Is it possile to install only chkdsk from the Windows CD? If it is then it will save my trouble going through this procedure.Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone