Loss of Broadband connection

Siford 11:45 28 Nov 2009

Hello! I am a newby to the site; am having huge problems with Broadband connection (Virgin). the icon on my computer says I do have a LAN connection but I can't log on. Message from Windows reads that there is a problem they can't resolve - get in touch with Isp provider. I did, we spent ages sorting out a 'packet'?? fault but it still keeps going down and is often very slow. After a reboot it works for a while, but am fed up with this approach. Any ideas? I need to sort this out before I go wireless - any ideas on how to do this appreciated! I am the Dummy they wrote the book for!
Judith

mgmcc 13:46 28 Nov 2009

Do you have Virgin's *CABLE* service or their *ADSL* (via the phone line) service?

>>> the icon on my computer says I do have a LAN connection but I can't log on

If you're accessing via a LAN connection, then either you're connecting directly to a Cable Modem by ethernet or connecting to a Router. In either case, you wouldn't be logging on - you'd be getting network addresses automatically over the LAN by DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Siford 16:20 28 Nov 2009

In response to mgmcc - I use an ethernet connection, but it frequently will not connect to the internet - sorry, I've always used the term logon - am not a teckie! I have a cable modem which worked well until recently, but I have to reboot at least once or twice a day. Is it a computer fault - mine is a 2yr old Toshiba laptop?
Which is a good wireless router? Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

mgmcc 16:55 28 Nov 2009

Next time you lose the connection, open the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type NCPA.CPL and click OK), click on the Local Area Connection and see what its IP address is, per this picture (ignore the fact that the pic relates to a "wireless" connection). click here Post back with a note of the IP address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017