losing microsoft?

podlod 08:09 13 May 2008

Hi, I have a serious prob being that there are some items I am losing and they are all Microsoft?
I have tried to get `msconfig in RUN and tried to get windows help and support `helpctr.exe` but panels keep appearing and stating windows cannot find, system service not running, to fix prob click service name help and support? but I can get them through search but still cant manage to use? please help.simple terms please.

birdface 08:25 13 May 2008

Can you do a system restore to a point before you had the problems.

podlod 10:33 13 May 2008

Hi Buteman, No I have tried that already and still the same?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:50 13 May 2008

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

podlod 11:48 13 May 2008

Hi both, well I have restored my PC back to over a week ago and I can run msconfig, but still not `helpctr.exe. I have tried sfc.scannow in RUN but windows says cannot find. Tried going to regedit on run a site you advised, windows etc source patch and type in C:\ but did not work, tried Reg Cure and they found 1693 probs, but I have to buy it at nearly 40 dollars and to me thats a little expensive if I found out that it does not work? Is there a site that will cure my prob free or do I have to pay, which I do not mind if it works?
This prob started when I rid myself of something called Threat Fire because it was causing probs on my PC! Please help if there is anything else you could recommend, driving me crazy!!!

Covergirl 12:21 13 May 2008

click here

Under Windows Fixes, about 4th blue link up from bottom on LHS, Fix Windows® XP Help.

That sorted me out a few years ago
when an app killed help.

Presume you're on XP . . . ?

Covergirl 12:22 13 May 2008

Take a good look round whilst your there - maybe fixes for your other probs.

Site is very light on bandwidth and progs are generally only a few K. Very good site.

birdface 12:38 13 May 2008

Just as a matter of interest what made you download RegCure. sfc /scannow make sure there is a space between the sfc and forward slash or it will not work.C Cleaner or Eusing are both very good registry Cleaners and are both free.Did you have all this trouble after running RegCure or before you ran it.This from another thread.You might find something that may help.click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:32 13 May 2008

I have tried sfc.scannow in RUN

you must type it in the RUN box correctly, note the space after sfc before the /

sfc /scannow

podlod 15:51 13 May 2008

Hi all, I have tried windows fixes covergirl but never worked.
I typed in services.msc in RUN but there was no help and support there anywhere?
I then typed in sfc /scannow in RUN ( you were right i missed the space last time, it read` insert windows XP professional service disc pack 2cd now`, but mine is XP home, does that make a difference?
I have also run spybot, cccleaner, and I have BitDefender, and they all come up clean.please tell me now what?

podlod 15:51 13 May 2008

Hi all, I have tried windows fixes covergirl but never worked.
I typed in services.msc in RUN but there was no help and support there anywhere?
I then typed in sfc /scannow in RUN ( you were right i missed the space last time, it read` insert windows XP professional service disc pack 2cd now`, but mine is XP home, does that make a difference?
I have also run spybot, cccleaner, and I have BitDefender, and they all come up clean.please tell me now what?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?