Losing IP Address

250diesel 14:49 12 Oct 2006

I have Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14 installed. For the last few days each time auto-update runs it reports that my IP address has changed and asks if I want to accept the new addess. When I click cancel I lose my internet connection.
Using BT Voyager 2091 wireless router. When I 'open' Status/Support it shows IP address 0000000 & all other details are zeros. Using 'Windows Repair' freezes.
I then have to disconnect phone line, shut down, reboot & reconnect, which seem to solve problem.
No viruses detected,
BT & Trend cannot come up with an answer.
Anybody got any ideas?

DieSse 14:54 12 Oct 2006

*When I click cancel*

Why do you click cancel - it's quite normal for IP addresses to change, as they are normally allocated to you afresh each time you log on to the net.

What happens if you click OK rather than cancel?

250diesel 15:34 12 Oct 2006

Thanks DieSse
I must admit my ignorance and say "I didn't know that". I thought an IP address was 'for life'.
Your answer explains why the supposed problem has only started happening recently. Before the message about changed addess started I was permanently logged on. It only began appearing when I logged on again, after I began logging off at the end of each session. I shall now accept the change and click OK.
Many, many thanks for your information and for educating me.
Regards
250diesel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?