losing files on reboot....

antony-332406 19:51 05 Jan 2005

system is an AMD 1700 running XP pro
i have decided to fit a larger HD in my machine, but want to reuse the old drive elsewhere,but have come across a big problem.
im using the same copy of XP with the new drive, and it loads fine, except on a cold reboot, ie after being off for an hour or 2, it wont reload windows.
it comes up with a message, something like 'a file is missing or corrupt windows/system32/config/system 'its not always the same file missing but i end up reinstalling windows again, to get the same problem
please can anyone advise?

JoeC 20:11 05 Jan 2005

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

Try

click here

or

click here

antony-332406 20:25 05 Jan 2005

that looks like the problem im having, ill give it a try later when the rugrats are in bed!
the thing i dont understand is ive never had this problem before, and it keeps reacurring on this HD i think ive loaded windows about 6 or 7 times now!
if this works ill tick the box!
cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?