Loosing contact with certain documents on server

tayler 18:14 13 Mar 2008

I have 2 computers(xp professional) and a server computer(xp home) on a network.I have shared files and printers but have a problem with the network connection to some documents and programs being lost after approximately half an hour.
If I reboot the machines(not the server) the connection is reastablished.
I have been told that this may be because the server machine is not xp professional?
Any help gratefully received.

brundle 23:23 13 Mar 2008

One of the machines is establishing itself as `master browser`, the machine which maintains a list of other networked computers and distributes that list to the others - it will be one of the XP Pro machines and as the update period for NetBIOS is around 12 minutes and you have 3 machines, 36 minutes into a session the `master` status your XP Home PC has assumed will be over-ridden by one of the `superior` machines. It's an absolutely idiotic system - some reading; click here

tayler 08:41 14 Mar 2008

Thanks for the info does this mean that my only solution is to put windows professional on all of the computers.
Ruth

brundle 20:26 14 Mar 2008

Read this and use it to prevent either of the other two PCs changing their status to Master;

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone