Loose connection or dying HDD?

Catastrophe 16:22 27 Jul 2010

I was having a problem with booting into XP. As soon as the first XP screen appeared, after a few seconds, the screen went black and then showed the first boot screen where it checks memory, looks for IDE drives etc..

This seemed to correlate (though later, I think not) with lit knobs on the Enermax front panel. By moving the wires slightly (I know not the best of ideas) the knobs appeared to stay lit. From this I concluded that I had a loose connection which was cutting and restoring power causing the ‘cycle’ of XP to boot. Often I had to press F1 in this cycle.

I changed the PSU but the fault was still there. I then tried a different master (an old 8.4GB with nothing but XP on it) and XP loaded perfectly.

I had had a little trouble with the HDD previously but had made it slave to the 8.4GB master and checked several times (hdd>props>tools>check). I also defragged a couple of times during these processes. It was ‘checked’ to be without fault.

I can only conclude that the HDD is failing, so my questions are:

Do you agree that the HDD is failing?

Have you seen similar symptoms?

How reliable is the check feature under props>tools?

Any other causes?

Comments gratefully appreciated.

:)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:31 27 Jul 2010

More likely a corrupt windows file.

If you have a XP CD
refit original drive as master
boot from CD and do a repair install--

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Catastrophe 02:51 28 Jul 2010

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Many thanks for that but I do not get that second R option. After choosing To setup ENTER and F8 I get
To install ... press C
To select different partition, press Esc

I have not hit C in case this loses former nstallation. Is the second R beyond C?

Catastrophe 03:22 28 Jul 2010

OK I tried 'click here' at the bottom. bootcfg does not seem to work. Options 'scan' and 'add' are not recognised. As directed here I took the first R option. fixboot did not work. Will look at other options.

Incidentally I tried other options like LKGC and SAFE with same result.

Catastrophe 21:50 28 Jul 2010

Thanks anyway. I just started all over and now it is working fine, less the little I lost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?