Looking to save HDD space

lothlann 21:57 28 Jul 2009

Firstly, im not sure where the best place to put this query was so I have gone for here. Feel free to move it if needed.

I have a 1TB drive that I am in the process of putting all my DVDs onto. However, I do not need to access them quickly so do not mind compressing them.

Currently I am experimenting with WinRar, I was just wondering if there was any better archiving/compression software I should look at?

Thanks

Lothlann

JanetO 09:27 29 Jul 2009

&-Zip is very good click here

woodchip 09:57 29 Jul 2009

Make sure System Restore is turned off for this drive, as you will lose gigs in no time if you do not turn it off.

Only turn off on the External Drive, Main Drive can be reduced on the room allocated to System Restore

DieSse 16:15 29 Jul 2009

I cant see how you'll save much - videos are already highly compressed - otherwise they'd be too big for DVDs.

I think JanetO means 7-Zip.

lothlann 18:13 31 Jul 2009

Thanks for the help, any other software. I shall have ago with some files and see what the reduction is, might be worth it.

How do I turn off system restore?

woodchip 18:31 31 Jul 2009

Depends what OS you are using. XP go to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore\System Restore Settings click a drive the change settings for it

woodchip 18:32 31 Jul 2009

Vista Settings click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?