Looking for a Password Manager

alanrwood 12:36 24 Oct 2014

Hi

A bit of advice

I am looking for a Windows Password Manager. I would like it to have the facility to keep the encrypted data file in the My Documents\XXXX folder ie have a user selected location so that it will be transferable with all my other documents across several computers. I would also like it to act as the automatic source for passwords when logging in from a browser just as the current browser saved passwords do. Have looked at vseveralo options but these facilities don't seem to be specifically mentioned.

csqwared 19:38 24 Oct 2014

Might help any respondent if you could give an idea of the 'several options' you've looked at. I've used Lastpass and found it very effective.

alanrwood 19:56 24 Oct 2014

I am open to any suggestions but those that use a remote server are not what I am looking for. ie Lastpass.

BRYNIT 20:30 24 Oct 2014

You could try Password Pro you can get it free for the next 4 days from CLICK HERE don't know what its like.

AroundAgain 21:46 24 Oct 2014

I use KeePass and have done for several years now. It doesn't have any remote server etc. The database and program are on your computer. You can also keep the database and program on memory stick so it's always available as long as you have a pc, laptop etc available.

I have taken mine, on memory stick, abroad and looked up some data on it using it on a friend's computer. As long as you shut down the computer after using it,

KeePass details aren't left available to owner/other users

It's free download from click here

rdave13 23:34 24 Oct 2014

I don't really know but google brings up Kaspersky for a P.M.

Looking further I found this , but not sure if same applies to my first link as it doesn't show which version it is.

Forum Editor 09:38 25 Oct 2014

Like AroundAgain, I use KeePass, and have done for several years.

I also run it from a memory stick, and haven't had any problems at all. I would never use a password manager that had to be installed on a computer, and I would certainly never keep password information in a document folder.

Automatic browser logins are also out of the question as far as I am concerned.

alanrwood 10:57 25 Oct 2014

Hi

I suppose it is everyone to their own. I am retired and don't carry my computers around for business with the opportunity to leave then on a train etc. They are all pretty secure within my home or at my holiday caravan. I can't personally see what the problem is with an encrypted file on the computer. To me it is just as safe as on some big cloud server many of which have been hacked in the past. I simply want the convenience I already have with auto insertion of non critical passwords. (I don't save bank ones for example in my browsers) together with the ability to share any updated info across my other computers.

AroundAgain 11:45 25 Oct 2014

Alan

From what I've read here, I would suggest you look at KeePass. It is all contained on your computer, or memory stick - whichever you choose.

I have always found it to be very easy to use. I've always 'copy/paste' to enter passwords from KeePass. I'm not sure if it has a facility to do this more automatically. Perhaps Forum Editor could advise regarding that as it sounds like it's a feature you would prefer.

I also keep all sorts of other information in it, like phone numbers for when I'm away - just makes them convenient.

I also have a shortcut on my desktop to KeePass, for convenience.

Perhaps this web page might be useful to read regarding KeePass and what it does?

alanrwood 12:42 25 Oct 2014

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the various options and the only one that has auto entry is the Kaspersky Password Manager so I have purchased the Pro version (a year's subscription at £10) and will play around with it for a while and see if it does exactly what I want. It does synchronise across the web I believe but the info does seem to be stored where I want it and I can turn off the web sync I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?