Looking for new laptop

wolfie0902 15:30 19 Jan 2011

Hi there. My young daughter managed to tread on our laptop last week cracking the screen. Having toyed with the idea of upgrading the laptop later this year, the decision has now effectively been made for us (as well as making sure we put it safely away each night!)

My requirements are fairly simple - looking to spend between £500-£700 all in. We don't use it outside of the home and already have wireless broadband. There are no really specific requirements other than the fact that we use it a lot for storing photos - so would need additional memory requirements for that.

Would anyone please be able to advise what they think are the better offers available at the moment that would match my requirements?

Many thanks

GaT7 15:41 19 Jan 2011

Well, you can get a lot of laptop for your basic needs & generous budget. And since it won't leave home, do you think you'd fancy a 17" screen size?

Also, would you prefer a matte or glossy screen (not the surround)? Glossy can be like Marmite though - you may either love it or hate it! G

The Kestrel 16:16 19 Jan 2011

I am sure this 17" Dell would satisfy your needs click here

wolfie0902 16:36 19 Jan 2011

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated

GaT7 17:16 19 Jan 2011

Just a few points about The Kestrel's Dell suggestion, that you may miss:

This is about the 1st one for £649 (or click here):

- It has the TrueLife (glossy) screen

- There's an option to add a digital TV tuner for £30 extra (would probably need connecting to the main aerial though for the best results)

- It does come with restore media, BUT make sure to select: "OS Media MUI Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT) Resource DVD [add £5.00]" at the 4th 'System Recovery' screen to ensure you'll get it (was doubtful, so had an online chat with CS about it - the transcript click here)

- The included GT 435M graphics is no slouch (so most, if not all, today's games can be played).

We can suggest a few more if required. E.g. You could opt for a better CPU & lower graphics.

Another type of system to consider is an all-in-one (AIO) touchscreen PC - can post a few links if interested. G

gail_pcadvisor 21:11 19 Jan 2011

I'm also looking for a new laptop.
I want something that will be upgradeable (at present have sony with 2gb ram not upgradeable). I need something capable of working with web design and photo software.
I've heard Acer are a good make?
Thanks

john bunyan 22:21 19 Jan 2011

Have a look at this spec - bought in John Lewis on line with a 2 year guarantee. I think Toshiba are very reliable.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017