Looking for a Network Router

Ollieole 09:09 02 Feb 2005

I have never set up a network before and I'm looking for a simple network router to connect 2 pcs and a laptop to share my cable modem connection and transfer files between machines. One Pc is XP and the other PC and laptop are both W98SE.

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to particular Belkin / Linksys / Netgear models etc. There seems to be some adverse comments about the reliability of routers particularly reviews I have read on linksys and netgear models which mention connections dropping, having to constantly reboot and routers failing altogether after 12 months.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

fitshase 09:13 02 Feb 2005

I'm running 2 Netgear routers (both wireless, one with a built in print server). I have not had any dropped connections yet and I have been using one of them for about 3 years now.

I would suggest reading some reviews on sites like Dabs.com and EBuyer from people who have bought them.

Regards

Fitshase

billyliv 09:51 02 Feb 2005

Hi, I have been usind a 'D link' DI-604 ethernet broadband router with a cable modem for some time now and have never experienced any problems. Cheers, Bill

RealDopey 12:02 02 Feb 2005

Over the past 18 months I have installed around 40 odd Netgear DG834G wireless routers with anything from 2 to 40 users. No complaints an alls well1!

plsndrs3 12:41 02 Feb 2005

Hi,

I've been using a Belkin F5D5230-4 [wired] between a laptoop [Win 2K] and a desktop [WinXP] for about a year now ans never had a dropped connection.

HTH

Paul

Ollieole 17:55 02 Feb 2005

Thanks for the response guys.

Many apologies but I forgot to mention in my original post that I don't want a wireless one.

I have to say it was the Belkin 5230 I had been leaning towards. I have used a lot of Belkin stuff and always found it reliable.

Anyone know what the difference is between the 5230 and 5231?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?