looking for a good netbook

hansa 10:04 06 Jun 2009

We are looking to buy a netbook for a grandson to use for his 6th form work.

Can anyone recommend a model that would be suitable. Not too expensive, obviously. From our research the Samsung NC10 appears to be a good bet. Any other ideas, please?

XP is OK as an OS and he will be using Open Office.

bremner 10:16 06 Jun 2009

Dell Mini 10 - Limited battery but 6 cell coming, howvere it is bulky. click here

Toshiba ND200 - comes with slim 6 cell battery click here

hansa 11:58 06 Jun 2009

bremner, thanks for the feedback.

Have just been out checking the Acer models.

The search continues.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:23 06 Jun 2009

May I be of assistance....click here

G

hansa 12:31 06 Jun 2009

tks gandalf.

I was just hoping for personal experiences.

I'm not that au fait with these systems so would appreciate any info based on actual use by any forum members.

Like the nifty link, though ;-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:12 06 Jun 2009

Glad you like the link, I chuckled when I found it. Seriously though, I would rather take the advice of professional reviewers who tend to be neutral rather than people who have bought one for their own use.

G

hansa 19:45 06 Jun 2009

Point taken G - thanks.

However, I was hoping to get some 'real world' feedback.

Off to Singapore on Monday so will have to leave this in the ever capable hands of my better half.

realist 20:48 06 Jun 2009

click here

We have two ASUS netbooks and can recommend.

ASUS user forum click here

anthonystorey 21:09 06 Jun 2009

my wife has a nc10 and i cant fault it apart form the touchpad is super sensitive, the battery life is great around 5 1/2 to 6 hrs. and my son has an acer one 110- AW(with linux on it), it does everything he wants (browsing the web, word processing and skype) the battery life is about 2 hrs but he has it plugged in most of the time you can get a better battery but they are pricey. we got the acer one from comet at a bargain £160 but im not sure if they still sell that model. pc world have a large selection of netbooks on display which you could take your grandson to look at and then just shop around for the best deal.
happy shopping

Charence 21:55 06 Jun 2009

I wonder what the prices of netbooks in Singapore will be like ;)

The 9" (and smaller) Asus EEEPcs are rather uncomfortable to type on. The 10" versions are better for typing.

hansa 11:27 07 Jun 2009

thanks for all the additional info. Will take in on board and pass the info on to my wife. Daughter will be taking him around the shops after his birthday so expect he will decide exactly what he wants, regardless of our input!

Sadly, only a brief stopover in Singapore on way to join my ship and won't be back until the autumn. Too late.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone